By Terrilyn Ho | Copy Editor

For students who are passionate about service, leadership, and sustainable business, Enactus is an active Saint Mary’s club that welcomes students of all majors. On the Saint Mary’s website, Enactus’s mission states that they are “a community of student, academic and business leaders committed to using the power of entrepreneurial action to transform lives and shape a better, more sustainable world.” As an active chapter, they are part of a worldwide organization that is dedicated to finding individuals who value innovation, integrity, and collaboration.

According to the executive vice president, Ana Chena Davila, “Enactus is a worldwide organization that develops entrepreneurial projects to help communities. As Enactus members work on these projects, they learn about current problems affecting society and learn how to function as part of a team.”

According to the Enactus worldwide webpage, there are active chapters in 36 countries, which include over 1,730 universities and over 72,000 students with their reach extending to more than 1,300,000 people impacted.

The Saint Mary’s Enactus chapter consists of three separate groups: projects, executive/administrative, and competition. Students who are part of the projects committee work on planning and executing business initiatives. One of the most recent completed projects involved the Monument Crisis Center in Concord, where Enactus members held sessions for students in middle school and high school, informing them of various post-graduate and career opportunities.

A project that has been in development is one that is also tied to the Monument Crisis Center, where students have been tutoring individuals who are preparing to take the U.S. citizenship test.

Another current goal for the club is to find a way to effortlessly and continually place solar panels on tiny homes in Oakland; however, they have run into issues with the city, who has been adverse to the idea of having homeless people loitering the streets and to making available space for tiny homes.

After students complete these projects, those who are on the competition committee prepare and attend tournaments to present their business initiatives. There are regional and national competitions that culminate into a final international competition.

Every year, an Enactus world cup is held, where the top chapters from each country compete by presenting the details of every project that they’ve completed within the past year. The co-president of Enactus, Cassie Balducci,  stated, “I love Enactus because it allows students to come together and work towards helping the community while also gaining experience and insights on what they want to do in the future.”

For those interested in joining a new club, Enactus is always looking for members who wish to develop their business initiative skills and are willing to commit to projects with a far-reaching impact on others.