By Adriana Avila | News Reporter

The members of Brockhampton line the stage at The Warfield dressed in their infamous orange jumpsuits. (Courtesy of Monica Avila)

“Are you alive?” shouted Brockhampton vocalist Kevin Abstract. My immediate answer on Sunday night was yes, but I can’t say that I felt the same way once Monday morning came, and my 9:15 a.m. class rolled around. Nonetheless, going to a concert at 9:45 p.m. on a Sunday night in the City was totally worth it. Dressed in orange jumpsuits, like in some of their music videos, the Brockhampton members left their mark at The Warfield in San Francisco. Each song was performed with high intensity, and the energy seemed to increase as the night went on.

Brockhampton is an American musical group from Texas that identifies as a boy band. In fact, they proudly calls themselves “the best boy band since One Direction.” The group was formed on an online forum, making them the “Internet’s first boy band.” Their music typically falls within the genres of (but is not limited to) hip hop, alternative hip hop, and alternative R&B.

A variety of songs were played from the three “SATURATION” albums that they released between June and December of 2017. The band started with the hit “BOOGIE,” during which the entire crowd went completely wild, as they danced and sang along. Although it seemed like everyone was losing their sanity, the concert seemed to have an intimate aspect to it thanks to the stage props, which were set up like a lounge with a couch, chairs, and rug. The group members would take turns sitting and performing as if they were just performing with some friends in a living room. The props did not distract the audience from the performance, but rather provided a sense of comfort and home.

Some boy band aspects of the concert included a Q&A with vocalist Ameer Vann and a dance competition between other vocalists, such as Merlyn Wood and JOBA. For most of the songs, at least seven of the band members were present on stage, including Kevin Abstract, Ameer Vann, Merlyn Wood, JOBA, Matt Champion, Dom McLennon, and Bearface. There are roughly 14 people who are a part of Brockhampton, but only seven do most of the performing. The other members do the behind-the-scenes work such as production, marketing, sound, photo, and video.

Fellow Saint Mary’s College students Eleanor Boling ‘19, Wendy Melendez ‘19, Joy Balinbin ‘19, and Monica Avila ‘21 joined me at our first Brockhampton concert. “The concert was so sweet I didn’t want the night to end,” said Avila. With a set list that evoked everyone’s inner dancer, Brockhampton’s music had a direct effect on the physical and mental health of my friends. “I gave myself whiplash and it was totally worth it,” said Boling.

The energy and passion of the performers totally made up for the loss of sleep and minor injuries that some of us walked away with. If you haven’t already, I would recommend checking out Brockhampton’s music. Who knows? Maybe you’ll find yourself spontaneously attending their next concert.