By Tyler Bindi | Sports Editor

George Springer celebrates with his teammates after a home run. (Courtesy of Fox News)

The 2017 World Series proved to be one of the most entertaining championship series in Major League Baseball history. The 113th edition of the Fall Classic featured the Houston Astros and the Los Angeles Dodgers in a seven-game thriller. The Astros were able to win their first World Series in franchise history as they defeated the Dodgers four games to three, including an emphatic 5-1 victory in game seven.

In a year where Major League Baseball set the record for most total home runs ever hit in the regular season, the long-ball trend continued throughout the duration of the postseason. This World Series was unlike any other, as the two teams combined for a record 25 total home runs hits throughout the seven games. The Astros accounted for 15 homers while the Dodgers recorded 10, with the teams combining for eight in game two alone to set a World Series single game record.

When the final out was recorded it was clear that Houston outfielder, George Springer, deserved to be named the Most Valuable Player of the series. Springer tied a World Series record by hitting five home runs to join the elite company of Reggie Jackson and Chase Utley as the only players ever to homer five times in a World Series. Springer finished the series with a .379 average, including three doubles, seven RBI, eight runs scored, and of course the five home runs.

The two most memorable games of the series were certainly game two and game six. Game two went into extra innings, where Springer would hit a clutch two-run home run in the top of the 11th inning to give the Astros a 7-6 victory and tie up the series at one game apiece. Game five took a measly five hours and 17 minutes to complete as the Astros defeated the Dodgers 13-12 to give the Astros an important 3-2 series lead. The game was finally concluded in the bottom of the 10th inning when Astros third baseman Alex Bregman hit a two-out walk off single that will go down as one of the biggest hits in the team’s history.

The 2017 World Series will be remembered as one of the most exciting Fall Classics in baseball’s storied history. The year of the home run provided added drama, constant action, and countless comebacks. With all of the uncertainties surrounding the world, one thing is for sure: Baseball is heading in the right direction with a product that is younger, faster, stronger, and more entertaining than ever.