By Dean Boerner | Sports Editor

Kareena Manji won her match to help Saint Mary’s win on Friday. (Courtesy of smcgaels.com)

Saint Mary’s cruised to two more conference wins this past week, downing USF 4-0 on Friday and defeating Santa Clara 4-2 the following day. Now winners of three of four conference matches thus far, the Gaels (7-6, 3-1 WCC) sit tied for third in the West Coast Conference.

After falling to Pepperdine the week before, Saint Mary’s got back to their winning ways quickly on Friday afternoon. Duos of Jana McCord/Kareena Manji and Jacqueline Pelletier/Clementine Clement came through with doubles wins to give the Gaels the doubles point and put them up 1-0.

On court six, freshman Danielle McIntyre made quick work of her opponent, winning 6-0, 6-1 to get Saint Mary’s started in singles play. Manji followed suit on court four, defeating USF’s Margarita Treyes 6-1, 6-2. Then sophomore Clementine Clement shut the door on the Dons’ afternoon, winning 6-3, 6-2 over Hanna Borjeson on court three to give Saint Mary’s the 4-0 win.

The momentum on their side, Saint Mary’s went to Santa Clara the next day, where once again they won the doubles point to start the day. The team of Manji/McCord snuck by Santa Clara’s Nabila Farah/Caitlyn Frankel 7-6 (7-2), while Clement and Pelletier won 6-3 over Zeina El Tawil and Giannina Ong to secure the doubles portion of the matchup.

Parminder Kaur, Pelletier, and McIntyre all won their singles matches in straight sets for the Gaels. McIntyre’s win on court six sealed the win for Saint Mary’s. She defeated Ong 7-6 (7-4), 6-2 to finish the afternoon’s play.

Saint Mary’s now gets to return to Moraga for a pair of WCC matches. They take on BYU on Friday before hosting 2-0 San Diego on Saturday.

After that, Saint Mary’s travels to Gonzaga for a Friday matchup with the rival Bulldogs.