By Kali Kushner | Culture Editor

Morrigan is just one of the gods that is reincarnated as a rock sensation. (Courtesy of Kevin Wada)

This weekend, I had the pleasure of reading the first volume of “The Wicked + The Divine” graphic novel series, published by Image Comics. Featuring the artistic collaborations of Jamie McKelvie and Kieron Gillen, who have worked on several Marvel publications including Young Avengers, the series has experienced immense success, including the reception of “Best Comic” during the 2014 British Comic Awards.

The narrative follows Laura Wilson, a seventeen year old living in South London with hopes of one day becoming a famous popstar. While such aspirations may be commonplace for many teenagers, in the universe of “The Wicked + The Divine” the pop charts are dominated by members of the Pantheon, literal Gods that are reincarnated  once every 90 years. The few who receive the title of God are granted instant fame in addition to supernatural abilities associated with their assigned God. The catch? You die within two years of finding out that you’re a God.

The plot kicks off once Laura attends a concert starring the Goddess Amaterasu, where she inevitably passes out after making eye contact with the God. To her amazement, Laura wakes to find Lucifer at her side, beckoning her with an invitation to meet Amaterasu backstage. As Laura waits to be introduced to Amaterasu, Lucifer kills two would-be assasins, causing Laura to be dragged into a legal battle concerning the reality of Lucifer’s abilities as a God. The first five issues follow Laura as she desperately tries to prove Lucifer’s innocence with the help of the eccentric Gods that make up the Pantheon.

While the plot was initially what drew me to start the series, I was pleased to see that the cast is made up of several people of color, including the lead protagonist, and members of the LGBTQIA community. That aside, the illustrations are really well done and often feature talented artists such as Kevin Wada, who often designs the covers for Marvel.

“The Wicked + The Divine” is definitely a must read for any college student, especially since the series isn’t as time consuming as the typical novel or book series would be.