Kimberly Paschal | Sports Editor

Katie Moss threw her eighth complete game on Tuesday, striking out ten batters and allowing just one hit in the win. (Courtesy of smcgaels.com)

Last Tuesday, the Gaels softball team continued their home stand with a doubleheader against the University of Missouri—Kansas City (UMKC) Kangaroos. The Gaels (14-18) swept the Roos (7-25) with a shutout 4-0 victory and 3-1 win.

In the first game, Katie Moss took the mound and continued her domination. Moss pitched a no-hitter through five innings and clocked nine strikeouts. Moss also pitched her eighth complete game of the season, allowing only one hit while striking out 10 batters.

Much like their first game against Princeton the week prior, the Gaels got going in the bottom of the third. Third baseman Jaymee Campbell got a leadoff hit and the Gaels leader in batting average, Nikki Alexander, proceeded to knock in the first run. Hailey Sparacino cracked a line drive down a gap in center field with runners at first and third to bring in the second run.

From then on, the Gaels were rolling. With solid pitching from Moss and a double to the warning tracked by Hannah Chew, the Gaels brought in two more runs in the fifth inning.

The Roos played tough defense in the sixth and seventh innings, but they could not get their offense going. With strong pitching and solid hitting, Gaels scored four runs on 11 hits to win 4-0.

After a short break, the Gaels and Roos matched up again at 4:00 p.m. The Roos scored in the first inning, but this would be their only run of the game. After a single by Hannah Chew, Nikki Alexander drove in Chew for another RBI. With Chew’s run, the Gaels tied the game 1-1 in the bottom of the first.

On defense, Katlyn Whitt pitched 5.1 innings with two strikeouts and only allowed three hits. Her strong pitching helped boost the Gaels over the Roos. Moss relieved Whitt in the middle of the fifth inning and struck out back-to-back Roos to end the inning.

Despite the Gaels dominance over the Roos, Saint Mary’s did not score again until the bottom of the fourth inning. With the bases loaded and two outs, Dylan Linton nailed a single to first base, knocking in two runs to give Saint Mary’s a 3-1 lead.

In the top of the seventh, Moss collected her second save of the season with a display of her poise and strength on the mound.

The Gaels leaders for the day were Dylan Linton, who went 4-for-8 and drove in two RBIs, and Hannah Chew, who recorded four hits in her seven at bats and also drove in a team-high of three RBIs.

On Wednesday, April 5, Saint Mary’s will play their last non-conference game when they visit Cal. The Bay Area rivalry is set to start at 4:00 p.m.