By Aedan Richter and Adriana Avila | Staff Writer and News Reporter 

Full of all sorts of twists and turns, as well as murder milkshakes, and high school drama, the second season of “Riverdale” returned on Oct. 11. People may have started watching because of sentimentality toward the old “Archie” comic books, but they have stayed for the crazy cliffhangers, exciting relationships, and, of course, the attractive duo of K. J. Appa and Cole Sprouse, who play Archie Andrews and Jughead Jones.

Last season started off with the murder of Jason Blossom, and the mystery behind the killer took the whole season to unravel. The main characters, Archie Andrews, Jughead Jones, Veronica Lodge (played by Camila Mendes), and Betty Cooper (played by Lili Reinhart) took the lead on solving the case, facing many challenging situations over the season before eventually solving the crime.

This second season, now three episodes in, seems to be set up in an almost identical manner but with the drama kicked up several notches. At the end of season one, Archie’s dad was shot in Pop’s Diner. Now a killer is on the loose and has so far killed three other people. Similar to last season, it’s up to the gang to solve the crime. This time, it has taken a much more personal tone for Archie, and the stress is starting to get to him as he gets further and further away from being the innocent golden boy.

While some may find it irritating to have the same plot setup as last season, it’s hard not to get sucked into the drama of it all and to spice things up. Therefore, the showrunners have added a few things. Veronica’s elusive and purely evil dad is now on the show, adding a new layer to the drama and conflict. Also, Jughead is becoming more and more involved in the Southside Serpents, a dangerous gang in Riverdale.

Speaking of Jughead Jones, a few weekends ago my family and I spent the day in San Francisco. We were slowly coming up to a red light when my sister yelled, “Is that Cole Sprouse?” I then looked out the window to confirm that, yes, Cody from the Disney Channel series “Suite Life of Zack and Cody” was standing on the street corner with his “Riverdale” costar, Lili Reinhart. Soon, though, our light would turn green, so I had to think quickly. As I rolled down my window, my sister screamed, “Cole,” and he looked up from his camera. Next thing you know, I’m waving at the stars of my favorite television show, “Riverdale.” They smiled and waved back.

I guess you could say it was a pretty good day for traffic in the city because, without it, we probably wouldn’t have crossed paths. Unfortunately, we couldn’t take a photo in time because our light turned green and we had to move forward. In all honesty, I was happy with the smile and wave back because, in that moment, it felt like we were just a couple of friends seeing each other by chance. I can’t say that we’re actually friends now, but I’m not opposed to that idea.

Seeing them made me all the more excited for the season two premiere. The first season of the show won awards, and more nominations continue pouring in from the Saturn Awards and Teen Choice Awards. To watch “Riverdale,” viewers can use Netflix or the CW app. New episodes are streamed on Wednesdays at 8:00 p.m. We highly recommend binge-watching the first season in order to start off on the second one.