By Richie Avila | Staff Writer

Patrick Reed wins The Masters. (Courtesy of golf digest.com)

The 2018 Masters Tournament was played in Augusta, Georgia this weekend. Established in 1934, the Masters Tournament is teeming with tradition and significance. Arguably the most prominent and exclusive event in golf, the Masters is an invitational event held by the Augusta National Golf Club; the nature of the event contributes to the smaller field of players relative to the other major championships. The winner receives a cash prize, in addition to the iconic green jacket.

The first of four major golf championships in the year, the 82nd edition of the Masters saw nine former champions in the field, including Bubba Watson, Jordan Spieth, Phil Mickelson, and Tiger Woods. The mercurial Tiger Woods played in the Masters for the first time in three years. Woods, who is tied for the second-most Masters wins ever, has excelled at the Masters over his legendary career. Woods won the tournament in 1997, 2001, 2002, and 2005. His 1997 victory was historic as Woods set the aggregate tournament record score with 270, a feat that was recently tied in 2015 by Jordan Spieth. World Golf Hall of Famer and three-time Masters winner, Phil Mickelson, is another legendary golfer who participated in this year’s edition. Mickelson, Spieth, and two-time winner, Bubba Watson, provided world-class competition in this Masters tournament.

On the first day, defending champion, Sergio García shot 81, including an 8-over-par 13 at the 15th hole, which is tied for the worst score on an individual hole in the history of the Masters. At the end of the first day, García finished tied for 85th. García was not the only former champion to miss the cut. Danny Willett, the winner of the 2016 edition of the Masters, failed to make it to the third day. Charl Schwartzel, Mike Weir, and Ángel Cabrera are a few more of the 11 former champions who exited the competition after round two.

Rory McIlroy began the weekend having previously won the U.S. Open, the Open Championship, and the PGA Championship. The only major championship that eludes McIlroy on his quest for a career grand slam is the Masters. Patrick Reed, who finished tied for 2nd at the 2017 PGA Championship and currently ranks 24th in the world, began the tournament seeking his first major championship. Reed sat on top of the leaderboard at the end of both Friday and Saturday and entered Sunday with a three-shot lead over McIlroy. Reed and McIlroy previously faced off in a singles match at the 2016 Ryder Cup, where Reed emerged victorious in one of the most well-regarded singles matches in Ryder Cup history.

Tiger Woods finished with a total of 289. The four-time winner finished tied with 2013 Masters winner, Adam Scott, with a score of one-over-par, while Phil Mickelson finished tied with 2007 Masters winner, Zach Johnson, with a two-over-par. Bubba Watson shot a 73 in round one, 69 in round two, 68 in round 3, and a 69 in round 4 for a total of 279. Ultimately the winner was Patrick Reed, who shot a total score of 273 to win his first major championship. The next men’s major golf championship will be the U.S. Open, hosted by the United States Golf Association, in June.