By Isabella Ferrante | Contributing Writer

Kylie Jenner has been the subject of rumors surrounding a possible pregnancy with Travis Scott. (Courtesy of Entertainment Tonight)

In today’s world, it would be surprising to hear of someone who isn’t aware of the Kardashian family. Since their rise to fame, the Kardashians’ influence on society has been controversial. People hold strong feelings about the famous family and their impact on those who watch their show faithfully. Personally, I think they are an entertaining family to follow, and I enjoy tuning in every Sunday night. Out of the five sisters, I enjoy watching Kylie Jenner the most (one of the half-sisters to the Kardashians) because she is the same age as me. Kylie lives a completely different life than a typical 20-year-old, but it is inspiring to see all that she has accomplished at such a young age.

A few weeks ago, social media went into a frenzy when reports stated that Kylie was supposedly pregnant. Since Kylie parted ways with former boyfriend and hip-hop artist Tyga, the father of her rumored child is yet another popular music star, Travis Scott. Travis and Kylie have been dating since April of this year and have kept their relationship out of public view, but both have found it difficult to keep their lives under wraps since news of the reported pregnancy surfaced.

Since the reports, Kylie has yet to step forward to confirm or deny the reports. Days later, it was announced that Kylie’s older half-sister Khloé Kardashian was also pregnant. Similar to Kylie, Khloé’s pregnancy is yet to be confirmed by the family. Reports came from anonymous sources that supposedly leaked the private information to the media. Outlets such as E! News, People, TMZ, and even CNN all reported without real evidence that both Kylie and Khloé are pregnant. Although we still do not yet know if the Kardashian and Jenner family is expecting little ones, this scenario points to a much larger societal issue—the media and its tendencies to blow the lives of celebrities out of proportion.

After all of the Kardashian and Jenner pregnancy rumors began, I was curious about how the media obscures the lives of celebrities. Neither Khloé nor Kylie have confirmed their pregnancies, and the media continually releases reports on the topic. I understand that covering celebrities is a booming business, but these news sources can take news stories too far when it comes to poorly portraying the rich and famous.

Media targeting and over publicizing celebrities’ lives is not a new phenomenon. When Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie split up, every celebrity gossip site was speculating why they got a divorce, invading the celebrities’ privacy. When I saw all of this come out in the tabloids, I felt bad for Pitt and Jolie’s six children, who couldn’t even go out in public without seeing their parents’ faces plastered on magazines. Another famous family that the media is constantly reporting about is the British royal family. Prince William’s marriage to Kate Middleton was broadcasted globally, and the tabloids heavily reported on Middleton’s three pregnancies. Prince Charles’ mother, Princess Diana, was even killed while trying to get away from the paparazzi in 1997. The media seems to cling onto the celebrities that audiences enjoy reading about, but they have clearly taken things too far in the past.

All of these media frenzies can lead to a lack of consideration for the celebrity, leaving them feeling attacked and alone in a world that knows all of their secrets. Since Kylie Jenner’s pregnancy reports, I feel like the media reports too much about her when she has yet to confirm or deny any of the claims. Tabloids are releasing articles about what her family has stated about the pregnancy, the gender of the supposed child, and even when she is planning to do a maternity shoot. When it comes to starting a family, the media should show simple respect and allow for family privacy, regardless of the family’s reputation within society.

I understand the fact that news media is a fast-paced business filled with competition and a paycheck for the latest detail or photo, but this behavior is not worth the cost when it intrudes on a person’s life. Media outlets should be reporting valid, authentic information, and nothing less; anything outside of this should be considered a violation of privacy. It may be the life of the rich and famous, but most importantly, they are human and deserve privacy when it comes to their life outside of the spotlight.

This article has 1 comment

1. John Chandler hoffman

Good job Bella