iPhoneby Shelley Dela Cruz | Staff Writer

Singles are sometimes so shy that they are too scared to say something in person. For that reason, the new dating application Tinder was released this year. Tinder is essentially a social app that serves as an avenue for single people trying to find a significant other. Tinder locates people that are nearby in the user’s area. Pictures of these people show up one at a time, and users can like them anonymously or skip them. If two users like each other, Tinder introduces them to each other and allows them to chat directly via the app.

Rated with four out of five stars on Apple’s App Store, most reviews believe Tinder has a good concept but has a lot of room for improvement. The Tinder app still has several bugs and glitches to fix, but the app seems to be slowly gaining its popularly, especially among college students. Tinder is extremely easy to use and is a free app, which makes finding and meeting new people appear simple for those who are not so comfortable doing so in person.

Despite the app’s simplicity, a significant problem with Tinder is that many people who download the app do not take it seriously; Tinder is ridiculed because it is comparable to a basic version of eHarmony or Match.com, except that it is for college students. Consequently, a user may be tricked into believing he or she has found someone who he or she could potentially date, but in reality, there is not enough evidence to make such a conclusion.

With the fact that some people misuse the app and use it for entertainment purposes, the app can easily come off as incredibly shallow as well. Ultimately, a Tinder user judges another based on a photo that pops up, which may or may not be what the person looks like. There is no real information displayed about the person; the judgment is based solely on appearance.

Because the Tinder app is still dysfunctional with multiple glitches and lacks depth, the future of Tinder is not looking bright. The app will gain and lose interest quickly because it does not pose a realistic outcome for users. To base a dating experience off of a photograph is surely unrealistic, because meeting a person and feeling that attraction is an experience that Tinder just cannot replace.

• Mike Sheedy

This app is not meant for dating its meant for college students looking to hook up with a girl, the article’s author doesn’t know what shes talking about