By Isabella Ferrante | Contributing Writer

As the school year began and we all headed down the hall to do our first load of laundry, it was a pleasant surprise to see that the machines read, “Free.”  Saint Mary’s students like myself were shocked when the Campus Housing Office announced that doing laundry on campus is now going to be free. Students no longer have to save up all their quarters to wash clothes or remember to grab their credit card while lugging their heavy-duty laundry basket down the hall enroute to the laundry room. Although this is a small change, it has a large impact. I am ecstatic about not paying every time I wash my clothes, and I can confidently say that most students that live in the residents halls would agree.

Although most would agree that this change is a positive impact on campus, some people are concerned with possible negative outcomes as a result of the Housing Office implementing free laundry, such as an increase in the price of  housing fees. Based on the Tuition and Fees page on the Saint Mary’s College website, the cost of on-campus housing has gone up for this 2017-2018 school year. This is because Saint Mary’s combined our meal plan with the cost of housing, which made students and parents fret when realizing the cost of living on campus. Although the price change can be shocking, one must understand that the benefits outweigh the costs. This does not bother me, especially if the perks of this change result in free laundry.

College is a major investment, both in our future education and also our future earnings potential. Because of this, we should not have to pay any extra money to wash our clothes. The price to do laundry may have been inexpensive before, but the small amount can add up when students are looking to hold on to any amount of money they can.

Several other college campuses have already done this. The University of Utah, Sonoma State University, and Arizona State University are among them. As a result, students seem to benefit from this significantly. As a frequent laundry goer, I was paying around $5 every week to wash and dry my clothes. This can lead to almost $20 a month if I wanted to do my laundry every week. To me, the convenience of not having to pay every time I wash my clothes has already made my life easier and more enjoyable, and we are only a few weeks into the school year.

In the end, we are all college students hoping to save a little bit of money in whatever ways we can. Offering free laundry is something that should have happened a long time ago. We are all busy with school, clubs, jobs, and other activities, so making this small change when it comes to washing clothes is more convenient for the hectic life of a student.

This article has 2 comments

1. What a great article you wrote, so proud of you. It was perfect from beginning to end.l love you forever, Nonna Lia

2. John Chandler Hoffman

Bella honey-l knew you were a writer when you wrote the baseball letter. This much longer article looked at all sides of the situation . You discussed all of the facts and came to logical conclusion. Great job darling jeep writing for the paper,yourself, and your family. Nanu Chandler