By Kavya Maddali | Staff Writer

Dianne Feinstein failed to receive the endorsement of the democratic party in San Diego on February 25 2018. (Courtesy of Los Angeles Times)

Just last weekend in San Diego at the California Democratic Party Convention, Dianne Feinstein, the incumbent, failed to receive the endorsement of her party. Many have argued that the senior senator has lost touch with the Democratic  party’s base. But if you take a closer look at the current state of party politics in California, it seems the Democratic Party itself has lost touch with majority of California Democrats.

Feinstein needed 60 percent of the votes to get the endorsement but was only able to get 37 percent this past weekend. Her primary opponent, Kevin De Leon, received 54 percent. Both spent weeks prior to the convention cozying up to the delegates. Feinstein hosted a conference call with many of them, and De Leon has devoted time to going and meeting with the delegates. Many in the CA Democratic leadership believe Feinstein’s reign of 25 years is finally up and are seeking a younger, more Democratic candidate to lead. It is astonishing to think that Democrats across the state consider Feinstein a conservative candidate.

We now face a Democratic party that is unwilling to compromise and rather champions figureheads who are stubborn. Some fear that Feinstein will not be able to win the race due to the growing sentiment for De Leon, but this is not the first time Feinstein failed to get her party’s endorsement. She has faced discontent within her own party before. Back in the 90’s when Feinstein made a ticket for the gubernatorial races, she failed to get the endorsement of her party due to her controversial support for capital punishment. Nonetheless, she won the primary. The party has painted Feinstein as far too moderate; they do not appreciate her willingness to work across the aisle and seek some form of agreement with the Republican party.

Interestingly enough, Feinstein also leads in the polls. The California Institute for Public Policy had her leading De Leon 46 percent to his 17 percent, and Feinstein also happens to be rich in experience and in campaign finances, significantly helping her campaign towards the movement to be a very well known politician. People generally recognize her name, and many are not even sure who De Leon is. De Leon, the President of the State Senate, needed this endorsement far more than Feinstein did. This endorsement would have brought him credibility and proved that the party backed him; instead, neither received official support.

It is becoming  clear that the two candidates have their flaws, especially with De Leon not taking any actions to put a stop to the sexual assault scandal unfolding in Sacramento. But the real lackluster leadership lies in the hands of the disillusioned Democratic party. There is a huge disconnect between the party and the majority of California Democrats. In these midterm elections, the party has a responsibility to elect competent Democrats and to go against the Republican majority in Congress. But while doing so, they are promoting out-of-touch candidates who are not appealing to Democrats across the state.