By Kimberly Paschal | Sports Editor

Mary Hernandez and Lindsey Calvin went 2-0 in to defeat Stanford and Utah in Palo Alto, Calif. (Courtesy of smcgaels.com)

On Saturday, March 11, the Saint Mary’s beach volleyball team travelled to Palo Alto, Calif, for two matches against the Stanford Cardinals and the Utah Utes.
On Sunday, March 5, the Gaels fell 4-1 to Stanford, but the Gaels avenged the Cardinals with a 4-1 victory. Saint Mary’s (4-2) swept Stanford (5-2) in the top four pairs. In their matches against Utah (0-3), Saint Mary’s defeated the Utes in four out of their five pairs.
After claiming a victory over Stanford’s No.1 pair during Opening Weekend, Lindsey Knudsen and Payton Rund defeated Jenna Gray and Kathryn Plummer for the second straight week. The Knudsen/Rund duo won their match 21-19, 19-21, 15-12.
The Gaels No. 1 pair also defeated Utah’s No. 1 pair, Adora Anae and Eliza Katoa, in two sets (21-13, 21-15). Knudsen/Rund are now 6-0 for the season.
The Gaels No. 3 pairs (Lindsey Calvin and Mary Hernandez) and No. 4 pairs (Alexsa Parker and Alexis Salmons) also went 2-0 to defeat Stanford and Utah. With the Calvin/Hernandez duo defeated Stanford 21-19, 24-22 and defeated Utah 19-21, 25-23, 15-9. The Parker/Salmons duo defeated the Cardinals 11-21, 21-14, 15-11 and the Utes 21-10, 21-13.
The Gaels will host WCC rival Pacific on Monday, March 13 in their first home match of the season. The match will be in the Moraga Commons and is set to start at 3 p.m.