By Joseph Foard | News Reporter

Last Thursday evening marked the 13th annual BASH and showcased a variety of student performances centered around the experiences and struggles of LGBT students. The Bash was put on through a collaboration between the Associated Students, the Intercultural Center, and the Saint Mary’s PRIDE club. Sets included the reading of stories and poetry, musical performances, comedy acts, and video presentations, varying in their topics from gender identity and facing casual discrimination to celebrations of love in all sexual orientations and identities.

The theme was titled “Taste the Reignbow: Colors of Our Community.”

“We’re keeping tabs on some of the more targeted members of our community,” said Monica Daggett ‘18, one of two lead chairs of the BASH executive team. “And [so] it made sense to honor them tonight.” In the BASH’s opening remarks, the executive team took the stage, dedicating the night’s performances “to the black and brown kings, queens, and non-binary royalty.”

Before the beginning of the BASH’s performances, attendees were able to partake in refreshments and visit an “Art Gay-llery” where paintings and other art pieces created by students were exhibited.

Once the BASH began, sets featured musical performances, including covers of Kehlani’s “Honey” and Frank Ocean’s “Self Control”—performed by Ericka Lacsamana ‘18, and Mary Fernandez ‘19 and Drew Kennett ‘19, respectively—and spoken-word stories. One such story, entitled “The First,” was about having one’s identity as a LGBT Catholic rejected by their own religious community.

“I wanted to encompass an intersectional identity and speak about my own experiential knowledge,” said Julia Hoshino ‘19, the other lead chair of the BASH.

Upon entering the Soda Center, attendees of the BASH were able to donate to the Sylvia Rivera Law Project and Audre Lorde Project. “We’re honoring…organizations that were named after important people in our community,” Daggett told The Collegian.

The Sylvia Rivera Law Project provides legal services to low-income transgender and intersex individuals and the Audre Lorde Project is an organization advocating for LGBT people of color.

“It was hard to fill the shoes left by last year’s BASH,” Daggett said. But she wanted to match the sense of community felt the previous year.

In reflecting on this year’s BASH, Hoshino said, “It was both celebratory, but [made] people think to bring light to the unheard voices in the LGBT community.”

Toward the end of the BASH, the executive team held what was called a “Q and Gay” session conducted by an unseen interviewer.

After fielding a volley of questions with humorous answers, the executive team was left with a final question of: “Could you tone down the gay a little?” After sharing brief, knowing glances with one another, the team turned towards the audience and responded with a resounding: “No!”